Research Antibodies Industry Overview
The global research antibodies market size is expected to reach USD 5.9 billion by 2028, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 6.4% from 2021 to 2028. Major market drivers include a rise in R&D initiatives undertaken by biopharmaceutical and biotechnology companies and government bodies, an increase in neurobiology and stem cell research, availability of technologically advanced products, and strategic collaborations among various key players.
Research Antibodies Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global research antibodies market on the basis of product, type, technology, source, application, end-use, and region:
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into Primary, Secondary.
- The primary antibodies segment held a dominant share of 66.1% in 2020 owing to high adoption due to benefits such as easy availability, greater specificity, and suitability to various research needs.
- They are also used for measurement, detection, as well as purification of biomolecules or proteins in various applications such as flow cytometry, ELISA, immunochemistry or western blotting.
- The secondary antibodies segment is anticipated to grow at a steady rate as they are more convenient and economical to develop. The availability of ready-to-use forms is further expected to raise the demand for secondary research antibodies.
Based on the Type Insights, the market is segmented into Monoclonal Antibodies, Polyclonal Antibodies.
- The monoclonal segment dominated the market and accounted for the largest revenue share of 64.7% in 2020 owing to a significant rise in the number of research activities in genomics that require technologically advanced genetic platforms.
- The polyclonal antibodies segment is anticipated to grow at a steady rate during the forecast period. These antibody structures are critical in histopathological tissue analysis and antigen purification. Moreover, growing awareness among individuals regarding treatment of cancer and other chronic diseases has led to increased demand for advanced treatment and diagnosis options globally.
Based on the Technology Insights, the market is segmented into Immunohistochemistry, Immunofluorescence, Western Blotting, Flow Cytometry, Immunoprecipitation, ELISA, Other Technologies.
- The western blotting segment dominated the market and accounted for the largest revenue share of 54.0% in 2020 due to the increasing prevalence of diseases that have limited treatment options. Western blotting is mostly being preferred over other technologies such as ELISA tests and flow cytometry among others for the detection of HIV antibodies due to greater accuracy provided by western blotting technique.
- The immunohistochemistry segment accounted for the second-largest revenue share in 2020. The segment is expected to grow at a steady rate owing to its major use in cancer diagnosis and prognosis of tumors.
- Other applications of immunohistochemistry include identification of enzymes, antigens, tumor suppressor genes, and tumor cell proliferation. Moreover, growing awareness levels amongst patients and healthcare professionals and rise in healthcare expenditure are some of the factors facilitating the growth of flow cytometry segment.
Based on the Source Insights, the market is segmented into Mouse, Rabbit, Goat, Other Sources.
- In 2020, the mouse segment dominated the market and held the largest revenue share of 50.3%, as they are easier to produce and are more specific in nature.
- The structural similarities in mice and human antibodies are the prime reason for their high adoption rate. Upgradation in the development process of mouse-based research antibodies such as the adoption of hybridoma technology that helps in the production of monoclonal antibodies in various specialized cells is expected to boost market growth.
- The rabbit segment is anticipated to witness considerable growth over the forecast period. The antibodies that are produced by rabbits usually have about 10 to 100 fold greater affinity than those produced by mice.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Infectious Diseases, Immunology, Oncology, Stem Cells, Neurobiology, Other Applications.
- The oncology segment dominated the market and accounted for the largest revenue share of 37.1% in 2020, owing to the rise in the prevalence of cancer in key geographies.
- According to the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the global cancer incidence was estimated to be 18.1 million in 2018. Additionally, 9.6 million cancer deaths were also recorded in the same year. The study also mentioned that 1 in 6 women and 1 in 5 men are estimated to develop cancer during their life span.
- The stem cells segment is anticipated to show lucrative growth over the forecast period, owing to increasing government investment, which has been key in encouraging researchers to continue to stem cell-based R&D for various therapeutic applications.
Based on the End-use Insights, the market is segmented into Academic & Research Institutes, Contract Research Organizations, Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies.
- The pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies segment constituted a dominant share of 60.6% in 2020, due to the rise in the use of assays for the diagnosis of various diseases and the growing prevalence of cancer and chronic diseases such as diabetes.
- The contract research organizations segment is anticipated to witness a significant CAGR during the forecast period. This growth is attributed to various benefits that are offered by these organizations such as higher efficiency of services, enhanced productivity, cost advantages, and high focus on the core areas of development.
Research Antibodies Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Strategic initiatives are undertaken by major market players such as collaborations, mergers and acquisitions, for various R&D activities, and product launches among others are expected to boost the market growth during the forecast period.
Some prominent players in the global research antibodies market include
- Abcam Plc
- Bio-rad Laboratories
- Becton Dickinson & Company
- Merck Millipore
- Lonza Group
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Cell Signalling Technology, Inc.
- F. Hoffmann La Roche Ltd.
- Agilent Technologies
- Perkinelmer, Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the Research Antibodies Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519